Saturday, October 21, 2006

Happy Deepavali


Hello my dear readers, I am back, after a great vacation. Normally, it so happens that everytime we travel, we end up taking in so much of places and people that it ceases to be a vacation. This time was different because I did not do much of sight-seeing. Instead, I relaxed, read some books, thought, and did nothing! It was pure pleasure. Nevertheless, I do have stories to tell.

Before I begin, here is wishing you all a very Happy and Prosperous Deepavali. May the festival of lights bring you all the joy and peace in the world.

Unfortunately, I am not celebrating the festival this year. For the first time, I am not at home. We got off from work today and I was at my house in Bangalore, feeling sorry for myself for not celebrating and annoyed at the kids in my street for bursting the loudest of fire crackers. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against crackers, even though I stopped bursting any many many years ago. I love those flower pots, swirling circles, `sur-sur bathis' and the rest. I just don't get the point in bursting those huge and very loud bombs, that's all. Anyways, nothing I can do about it.

Every year at home, I would lit dozens of little mud lamps and arrange them in front of the house. Once I remember we had kept lamps and candles even on the terrace. That is what I miss the most here, even as I write this. As I look around, people just seem to be bursting crackers, I can hardly see any lamps in front of houses. Lamps, deepas after which I am named, are what Deepavali means to me. I miss that sorely.

As I sigh at life, other lives and the festivities go on. And a very happy Deepavali to you all.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Happy Deepvali to you, too!

Anonymous said...

eager to know your experiences in business capiotal of our nation