Tuesday, April 25, 2006

These Last Days....

As I write, I see my life ending, the only life I have known till now. The life of a student, one where I did not study much but still got through exams pretty easily (Lady Luck seems to like me!), a life where life was easy and cool.

I did not write for long. In the meanwhile, I finished my dissertation, I finished my internal tests today, I will finish the main exams in less than two weeks and I will finish being a student forever. The process of learning will go on but never again will I yawn through class, sleep through lectures, laugh at stupid jokes and laugh away boredom, sit in class, bunk class, worry about attendance, write exams....

Life moves on, like it should. In a few months from now, I will be living on my own in a big city, working at something I enjoy the most, writing, living my dream. This brings to mind a line from the movie 'The Motorcycle Diaries'. 'Che' Guevara and Alberto Granada are on their trip and as they near the border of Peru, one of them says, I paraphrase here, every moment is split into two, on one hand you feel sad at what is passing by and on the other hand there is this excitement at what lies ahead. True. I am looking forward to what is to come. But at the same time, I am going to miss this carefree life. Life will be...different.

20/04/2006 That was my very last day of class. No more classes!:-) No more classes! :-(

I just realised something. Few months from now, I will have to change my profile on this blog. When life changes.....

8 comments:

Ajaya said...

All the very best in your life...
Few things you will would cherish and hold them with you are your friends from college...

Welcome to the new life :)

Shiv said...

It reminded me of my last days in college.

These moments from college will be like the oxygen in the future.

I wish that the Lady Luck will always smile upon you...

All the best for your endeavors..

San Nakji said...

It's not the end of your life. It is the beginning of a new and exciting chapter. I am sure you will enjoy the freedom and added responsibility. I don't think I could ever go back to university, life is much more than that. Good luck!

Somashekhar said...

a last class,
a last college day,

i am missing my engg days.

Unknown said...

So you did all this yawning, sleeping, bunking, worrying and fretting while learning to be a journalist? Stop kidding yourself, mate, if you think you will stop doing those when you enter a newsroom in a few days/months/eons.

Here’s what will happen, to take refuge in your own verbs: You will yawn through news meetings that make no sense to the sensible. You will sleep through copies in the early city edition because people in Jodpur, Raipur, Sonarpur or Somesuchpur will sleepwalk through that paper the next morn before their kids mop their behind with them in the afternoon. You will laugh at stupid jokes made by know-it-alls who go by aliases — from city reporter to shitty editor. You will laugh away boredom at 2 in the night. You will sit in news room (because every passing alleged stud will hit upon you at the smoking zone). You will bunk work (okay, after the first few months). You will worry about deadline all day and all night. And you will fret about the wrong headline (if on the desk) or missed quote (if a reporter)…
Yes, in a few months, you will live on your own, in a big city, working at something that you perhaps enjoy. But that enjoyment won’t come from writing. Because the first thing they will do is soak you clean of any dream to tap-dance on the keyboard, and then ask you to churn out a stellar 375-word copy.

20/04/2006 was only the beginning of a lifelong class room. Welcome aboard!

Deepa Bhasthi said...

Thanks Ajaya, Shiv and San Nakji.
wow you are pretty cynical, mr worst Indian journalist! i should suppose you are write about it though. I would rather wait it out till life made me this cynical too.

Ashley said...

Welcome, graduate! Here's wishing you great success in your future endeavors!!!

You will always have fond memories of your school days....

Arun Kottolli said...

One never ceases to be a student. University or college or school are just a place for learning. I have always been a student - even when I am out of college.