Wednesday, December 14, 2005

On My Birthday!

A mobile pic again.
This is a Thanjavur painting of Lord Krishna, my most favourite God. I am not too religious, though I am spiritual (to me, both are different). I believe in God, not really in religion but when I pray, it is to Lord Krishna.

Anyway, ma made this painting for me for my birthday present. Every year, she makes something to surprise me, but none of her presents are really much of a surprise. This year I could never have guessed in a million years that she would give me this. She told me later that she and my maid had to make elaborate arrangements to hid it away whenever I came home!

This is a Thanjavur painting, the yellow gold jewellery you see in the picture is real gold and some of the stones encrusted are real precious gems. The art is an expensive one. It is a genre of painting that originated in the temple town of Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu. There is a variation of this that originated in Mysore but I think those are not as good.

I loved it. The painting actually glitters in the dark and it is the best present I have ever been given. Ma wanted it to be hung in my present home but no way! I am going to take it as soon as I get a house of my own!

Hmm...should learn more about Thanjavur paintings. I was there in the town last year. There is also another art form there. Colourful strips of paper are pasted on glass plates in geometric designs and can be hung on the wall. We have one at home, looks good under the light.

4 comments:

Bishwanath Ghosh said...

Hey, Happy Birthday Deepa! Wishing you a very long and a very successful life. Cheers!

San Nakji said...

I am not too clued up on religion, I do know that I like Ganesh though. As a Hindu do you choose which gods you wish to worship or what? I know that sounds a bit ignorant, but just trying to learn...

Deepa Bhasthi said...

Thanks Bishwanath!(can I call you that?)
That is a rather complex question San Nakji. religion and caste used to be rather rigid. every community had a particular God or Goddess that they had to worship. as a Havyak Brahmin, I am supposed to worship Lord Rama. but thankfully, at least for my generation, God is more liberal. though as a community, we still worship lord Rama, we are rather free to worship our own Gods. To me, God is very personal. In fact, in Hinduism, there is more emphasis on personal religion than community worship, like in say a church. again, it is entirely up to the way you were brought up. I worship my personal God.
Religion is very very complex in India. even as a native, I am constantly amazed at the intricasies.
Hope I have cleared your doubts at least a little.

Dinesh said...

Wish you a happy B'day dear...