Monday, July 04, 2005

The Da Vinci Code

I saw a documentary on the National Geographic channel yesterday about cracking the Da Vinci code. Kind of okay, though two hours was too long to come to a conclusion, which they finally didnt. It started with the best selling novel by Dan Brown called The Da Vinci Code. Though a work of fiction, Brown claims to have based his story on actual facts that have been deliberately suppressed by the church for the last 2000 years. It is supposedly an old theory delivered in a thriller. The book talks of an alternate version of the story of Jesus Christ. He was supposed to have been married to Mary Magdalene and had a child named Sara whose bloodline was the Merovingian family of France. The bloodline has been protected by a secret organisation called the Priory of Sion whose leaders included Boyle, Victor Hugo, Issac Newton and Leonardo da Vinci. Da Vinci is also supposed to have hidden clues to this incredible story in some of his most famous paintings including The Last Supper and Mona Lisa.
The theory is rather complicated to write about in a blog. Read the book for the racy way in which it is written even if you rubbish the idea.
My personal opinion: I am not a Christian and I cant talk of the religious implications. One of the authors in the documentary said that he did not believe or disbelieve in anything, he just knew or didnt know something. Likewise, I just dont know. As for the conspiracy theories, I largely think that they are nice diversions from the mundane. They give you something to talk about, to write blogs about. You might want them to be true or false but most of us couldnt care less either way. Also, some things are best left unexplained instead of opening a can of worms. After all,the unknown, unexplained ways of life are what keeps a faith, a belief system going.
Read about it, read the book. If not anything else, it is a great way to pass a lazy afternoon.

2 comments:

Sufia said...

Yeah, I saw that too, last month. LOL, I know, you saw it in 2005 and I in 2013. Never mind that I am glad somebody's talking about it. All my friend hate Dan Brown just of the sake of hating him.
P.S. I am making this comment on a whim. LOL, I P.S.-ed this on a whim too. Ciao.

Sufia said...

Yeah, I saw that too, last month. LOL, I know, you saw it in 2005 and I in 2013. Never mind that I am glad somebody's talking about it. All my friend hate Dan Brown just of the sake of hating him.
P.S. I am making this comment on a whim. LOL, I P.S.-ed this on a whim too. Ciao.